Do you envy the people who only require 4 or 5 hrs of sleep every night to be fully rested? How about those people who, the moment they hit the pillow, are out like a light. Everyone needs a good nights sleep. The truth is there are several things you can do to sleep better. It may be as simple as turning a fan on, or not eating before bed. Whatever the case your body demands sleep. Let’s look at what happens when you become sleep deprived.
Here are some interesting facts related to sleep. According to the National Sleep Foundation if you’re not getting enough you limit your cognitive ability to solve problems. You will reduce your ability to listen, think, and understand. If sleep deprivation persists then it may lead to a number of mental illnesses including depression, anxiety, aggressiveness, or irritability.
Physical health is also affected in a very negative way. Some of the side affects are weight gain, skin problems, inability to repair muscles, disease, or low energy. According to Dr. Oz not getting enough sleep can increase your chance of diabetes by 50%.
Good rest is as crucial as food, water, and air.
So how to sleep better. Here are 3 quick and easy tips on the subject. One thing may help you that may not help the next person. You need to try several things to help you sleep and pick what works the best.
1. Control Your Surroundings- The best and most ideal place to sleep for most people is a quiet, dark room that has a temperature of 65 degrees. Some people report sleeping better with some kind of constant noise like a fan.
2. Be Punctual With Sleeping- Most people have appointments that require a schedule. Sleep should be included. Every night same time.
3. Take Non-Addictive Natural Herbs- Many herbs have been shown to relax the body and mind to help people fall asleep and stay asleep. A good all natural product that includes many sleep herbs is called Sleep Eze by Youngevity. It has high reviews and it’s affordable. Simply take a couple of tablets about 30 min before bedtime. Cost is about $49 retail and $34 wholesale. Do not take chemical sleep aids like Tylenol pm or others that may help sleep but the quality of sleep would decline, and they may become addicting.
4. What You Eat and Drink- The things that you take in can have a huge impact on falling asleep and quality of sleep. Avoid Caffeine, Alcohol, Nicotine, and certain seasonings. Test for yourself different foods and create a journal on what works best for you. Sleep expert Dr Charli Sargent “studies have found eating foods high in tryptophan, several hours before bedtime can help you sleep”. Your brain uses tryptophan to create serotonin, which helps regulate your sleep cycle. Some foods that contain Tryptophan would be Chicken, Calf Liver, Soybeans, Turkey, Tuna, Venison, Salmon, Lamb, Halibut, Shrimp.
5. The Power Of Meditation- This exercise is one of the most overlooked valuable exercises that exist. You can do these stress relieving exercises throughout the day and right in your bed at night. When you meditate your goal is to clear your mind and focus on your body. Breathing deep breaths with your eyes closed in a comfortable position. Some like to sit up, some lay down. Try to clear your mind and think about nothing but deep breathing from your abdomen. Big breaths that make your belly expand and contract. Think of your body parts one by one making sure they are relaxing. Try hard to clear your mind of all thoughts except relaxing your body with each breath. Soon many find themselves stress free and relaxed enough to go to sleep!
These tips should help your question how to sleep better, and have you falling asleep fast.